Monday, February 27, 2012

(Mis) Communications

Most days I seem to have pretty bizar communications. With my own boys I speak Dutch, but they often reply in English:

Anne: Kom, we gaan even de hond [van de buren] uitlaten.
Thomas: We're gonna walk the dog? [this is the neighbor's dog]
Anne: Ja, kom, we gaan.

And a similar thing happens when I speak Chinese to some people around me. Some Chinese here have worked with foreigners so long that they have either good English or have at least found their own ways of communicating in English.

So last night I was sending a text message to a friends' ayi (the help), asking her to please come pick up the friends' dog from our house the next morning. I typed my message in (possibly incorrect) Chinese, but look at the reply:


Pretty funny, hah?

And how, oh, how do I type in Chinese you wonder? Well, there's a transcription system for the characters, called pinyin. So when I want to write Chinese characters, I write the pinyin, and then my phone suggests a couple possible characters that would match that word in pinyin.

For example, here I am trying to write "ni hao" (hello):


The first option in blue is already the right one (你好), so I just need to select it and it will show up in my text message.

And if I don't even know the pinyin, I can always look up a word in a dictionary on my phone. Here I was looking up "Netherlands" in the Pleco dictionary:


And finally, if I receive messages that I can't read, I can open them in Pleco too, and the software will help me understand what characters go together to form words. See below for the word "Netherlands" again.


Pretty darn handy, ey? Or as Pleco would say: zhen fangbian de! 真方便的!

In het Nederlands: Ons leven bestaat uit een nogal rare mengeling van talen. Ik zelf praat Nederlands met Simon en Thomas, maar ze geven toch vaak in het Engels antwoord. En als ik Chinees spreek met iemand kan het ook zijn dat er Engels teruggesproken wordt. 

Het typen van de Chinese karakters om een berichtje of email te sturen is overigens best eenvoudig. Elk Chinees karakter kan ook in "pinyin" geschreven worden, zodat je kan zien hoe je het uitspreekt. Als je dat woord in pinyin kan onthouden, dan kan je dat ook gebruiken om op je computer of telefoon het bijbehorende Chinese karakter te vinden. Je moet dan wel opletten, want meerdere karakters kunnen hetzelfde klinken, wat betekent dat meerdere karakters (met verschillende betekenis) geassocieerd zijn met hetzelfde woord in pinyin. Je moet dus nog steeds wel leren wat elk karakter betekent.

Er zijn duizenden karakters en ik heb wel eens gehoord dat ik er zo'n 2000 a 3000 moet leren om een krant te kunnen lezen. Ik ken er nog lang niet zo veel, maar wel net genoeg om wat eenvoudige berichtjes te kunnen componeren en -- ook met behulp van de computer -- een aantal te ontcijferen.

No comments:

Post a Comment